Sunday, October 10, 2010

One BIG update.

Well.. a lot has happened over the last 2 weeks. Where do I start?
While Nick was in China for 10 days I was home sick for 4 days. Being sick is one thing but it's a whole new ball game when you're pregnant. The comfort of Nyquil or Theraflu are not an option so you're pretty much left with vitamin C and lots of rest. I wasn't 100% a week later but had started to feel better when Nick returned. I'm hoping this is his last time traveling for work while I am pregnant. If he has to do another trip it will be a short one, thank goodness!

The day after he returned we had a visit with Dr. Call. From now on we are seeing him every 2 weeks until I am 36 weeks along and then we move to every week visits. I had my glucose test done that morning, Dr. Call measured my belly, we listened to her heartbeat and took a look at her with the ultrasound machine. Dr. Call noticed her head was measuring larger than 29 weeks so he wanted us to go have another ultrasound done at the hospital. (A better machine and more details). Her head was measuring around 33 weeks instead of the 28.6 that we were. Sure enough - She's a big baby. She's healthy, everything looks great and we even got an extra confirmation that she's really a girl. No last minute surprises here!! Nick and I enjoyed the extra ultrasound and also found out that she's head down for the time being. Let's hope she stays that way.
We had to wait until Monday for the results of the ultrasound and the glucose test. Turns out that my sugar levels were "elevated" and I needed to have a 3 hour test done vs. the hour test that I did on Friday. So on Wednesday I went in at 8:30 for a 3 hour test. It was a long wait, 7 pricks from needles in my hands (because my arm veins are too deep) but all well worth it. Dr. Call has been able to confirm that I do in fact have Gestational Diabetes. No more cupcakes for me. I was pretty upset when I found this news out and could not stop crying for a couple of days. It's been 4 days now and I'm coming to terms with it and glad we caught it now and I can control my levels with my diet and excercise. When I got the news from the nurse, Dr. Call ended up getting on the phone and told me not to freak out because my levels are not that high, I can control it and won't have to take medications. Next step? I have an appointment with a nutritionist tomorrow at 11 and then with a nurse right after to set me up with a blood monitoring machine so that I can test my levels every morning or maybe more often than that. I'm very happy that our little girl is healthy and that I can keep it that way.

Our next appointment is Wednesday this week and I'll have a better idea what's in store for us. She's suppose to be gaining a 1/2 pound each week at this point and is about 17 inches long from head to toes. She's running out of room! During our ultrasound at the hospital we were told that she was measuring to be about 4.6 pounds and the books that I'm reading say she should be about 3. I'm still hoping that she'll be in the 8 pound range.

Nick and I also started taking baby classes!! Every Wednesday night from 7-9 we're learning about what to expect with the delivery, more about breast feeding, and what to do when the hospital sends you home with a new little, tiny baby. The first class was great and we're looking forward to the next 6 classes. There are only 6 other couples in the class which is really nice. We'll be done with the class on Nov. 17th.

I put some tape (sticky side up) in the crib on the matress and on the changing pad. The cats HATE it!! So we're hoping this teaches them to stay away from them. Now we just need to set up the pack n play and put some tape in it.

That's it for now. No pictures this time but will make up for it in the next post.

3 comments:

  1. Shells! I so hope the nutritionist helps you take care of the gestational diabetes! (And I hope you don't have to give birth to a 12 lb baby! Yikes) I can't wait for your shower and to see you again.

    Clever idea with the tape. Teach Gizmo and CHester it's not THEIR stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I was hoping you wouldn't have to deal with the gestational diabetes BUT it's awesome that you get to meet with the nutritionist and that it's something you can control with diet and exercise. See, you're already being a great mom and teaching the baby good habits. :) And I sure hope she won't be 12 pounds too, but when she's born you should take a picture of her next to a 12 pound turkey so I can have some perspective. =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did your appt go with the nutritionist?

    ReplyDelete